You are not yet enrolled in this course.
Mondays & Wednesdays, 9:30pm
‘Allamah Khalil Ahmad Saharanpuri (1852 – 1927), Allah have mercy on him, the celebrated commentator of Sunan Abi Dawud, authored a short work in 1907 CE in defence of the illustrious scholars of Deoband. In it, he articulated clearly the views that the ‘Ulama’ of Deoband hold on certain important and controversial matters. The verdicts in the book were endorsed by virtually all the major scholars of Deoband from that time. Several major scholars throughout the Arab and Muslim world had also confirmed that the beliefs articulated in the tract were in line with that of the Ahl al-Sunnah wa ‘l-Jama‘ah.
The verdicts together with the endorsements were published as “al-Muhannad ‘ala ‘l-Mufannad”, also known as: al-Tasdiqat li Daf‘ al-Talbisat. The Urdu translation is known as: ‘Aqa’id ‘Ulama’ Ahl Sunnat Deoband (or just ‘Aqa’id ‘Ulama’ Deoband) and Madi al-Shafratayn ‘ala Khadi‘ Ahl al-Haramayn.
It has been described by Mawlana Muhammad ‘Ali Jalandhari (1895 – 1971), one of the major Deobandi scholars of Pakistan, as “the ‘official spokesperson’ (sarkari tarjuman) for the maslak (track) of Deoband, to accept which is to be Deobandi, and to deviate from which is to depart from the maslak of Deoband.” (Hidayat al-Hayran, Idarah Ta’lifat Ashrafiyyah, p. 76)
Another prominent Deobandī scholar from Pakistan, Mawlana Qadi Mazhar Husayn (1914 – 2004), said: “Al-Muhannad is, as it were, a unanimous historical document of the senior scholars (akabir) of Deoband that has preserved the maslak of Deoband in terms of its principles.” (al-Muhannad ‘ala ‘l-Mufannad, Idarah Islamiyyat, p. 18)
The course will begin with a few introductory sessions on the Deobandi school, the history & background to al-Muhannad and a brief biography of its author, followed by a systematic study of the contents of the book.
The course will cover:
● For advanced students of knowledge and graduates
● Not suitable for beginners
● Those wishing to increase their knowledge about the Deobandi movement of Ahl al-Sunnah wa ‘l-Jama’ah
● Those seeking to understand the stance of the illustrious scholars of Deoband on important questions of belief, methodology and practice
● Those wanting to gain an appreciation for the tajdid (renewal) carried out by the scholars of Deoband
● Those looking for answers to oft-repeated allegations and misconceptions about the scholars of Deoband
● Those wishing to gain a deeper insight into the contents of al-Muhannad ‘ala ‘l-Muhannad
● Open to brothers and sisters
Teacher Bio: Mufti Zameelur Rahman
Mufti Zameel completed his memorisation of the Qur’an as a teenager. He later went on to complete the ‘Alimiyyah programme in the Islamic sciences at Darul Ulum Birmingham, UK. He then furthered his studies and completed an Ifta/Takhassus fi’ l-Fiqh (specialisation in fiqh and fatwa) course at Dar al-Ifta al-Mahmudiyyah in Durban, South Africa under renowned specialists Mufti Ebrahim Desai and Mufti Husain Kadodia.